Thursday, March 20, 2014

Empties #3: Hits and Misses

Hey guys! I can't believe I have another empties post already, it seems like a lot of things I bought at the beginning of fall all ran out at the same time! Without further ado, here's what I've used up recently...


1. L'Oreal Paris Skin Perfection 3 in 1 Purifying Micellar Solution. I'm still pretty new to the micellar makeup-remover scene. After hearing about Bioderma and realizing there was more to makeup remover than Neutrogena wipes, over the summer I purchased a Boots No7 product from my local target. The packaging made it difficult to take in my move to the UK, so I took the opportunity to purchase the L'Oreal Micellar Solution that everyone was talking about. It's been heralded as a drugstore "dupe" for Bioderma. I haven't tried Bioderma, so I can't make any claims to its dupe-ability. It does remove makeup well, but I feel like I have to use ten cotton pads and continuously go over my face. The packaging allows for a lot of spill and product waste. It also left my combo/dehydrated skin feeling very tight. I've found that my skincare routine does much better with a hydrating cleansing balm to remove makeup, followed up with my regular cleanser. I have purchased Garnier's micellar solution, only because I do find that micellar water is great for travel or nights when just need to get the crap off my face and FAST. I wouldn't recommend this product for anyone with sensitive, dry, or dehydrated skin, as it made my skin feel tight and sometimes would sting. It is NOT good for the eye area either. 

2. Batiste Dry Shampoo Clean & Classic Original. First, I don't use dry shampoo for styling purposes, but only as an oil reducer for second or third-day hair. I usually style my hair naturally curly, so it is only if my curl has subdued itself to a wave that I use dry shampoo. In comparison to other dry shampoos (and I'm still pretty new to the game), this was incredibly chalky and plain uncomfortable. I hated touching my hair because I would be left with residue on my hands. I won't be repurchasing, as I'm just not a fan of that residue.

3. Wilko Hairspray Control Holds It Extra Firm. I don't use hairspray that often except to keep my fringe in check or to hold a curl, so this was a cheap quick buy. It lasted me a while and I can't really complain. It was fine. I wouldn't say it lives up to its Extra Firm claims, but it was a nice cheap hairspray. I would have repurchased except that my local Wilko was out of stock!


4. Mitchell and Peach Shower Wash. This was an okay shower wash. I found it to be quite a strong, herby scent so it was nice to take while traveling with my boyfriend over the holidays. It has a scent that suits both guys and gals. I doubt I would repurchase, as I have a billion shower gels in my stash and the scent just didn't wow me. I got this in a Love Me Beauty Box and definitely appreciated having a mini to travel with, and the unisex scent saves space when packing (just one shower gel instead of two!). 

5. Rimmel Scandaleyes Liquid Liner Pen. This pen is something I won't be purchasing again. My only other liner pen comparison is Revlon's ColorStay liquid liner, which performed much better than this one. The Rimmel pen has a flimsy tip, which makes it difficult to control the line you make, and it dried out faster than my Revlon pen. I think that liner pens, just like mascara, are something very personal. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean you won't, and it is incredibly affordable! I don't think I will repurchase. There are so many liner pens to try!

6. e.l.f. Small Angled Brush. I used this brush all the time to do my eyebrows. As you can see, it's taken a beating. I think I got it in the summer and at this point the bristles are warped out of shape. It was fine, it does the job, but there are even cheaper brushes in the UK a la Barry M that I have found to work better for a more controlled, hair-like line. It's cheap, though, so if you are new to the shadow-method for filling in your brows and don't have an angled liner brush I would give it a go! 


7. Arm & Hammer Ultra Max Unscented Solid Antiperspirant Deodorant. This is a hidden gem. Seriously. My mom has used Arm & Hammer unscented deodorant for my entire life, and I'm finally on the bandwagon. Less likely to cause irritation, its fragrance-free no-nonsense formula is a great drugstore find in an aisle of sickly smells. You have to be careful with your black clothing. But it's great! 

8. Bath & Body Works True Blue Spa Shea Cashmere Body Lotion. Ahh, the wonderful smells of BBW. This smells exactly like frosting and is really nice and moisturizing. It's got a hefty price tag since it's in the True Blue Spa range, but it is more nourishing than their Signature Collection line, in my opinion. Definitely a nice skin treat that I used up to the last drop! This is nice if you have a coupon or a deal, often there will be a promotion to get this and other products at a discount. Otherwise, it's slightly out of my price range for a lotion.

9. EOS Lip Balm. I love these suckers! I kept this by my bedside for ages and it finally ran out. I do have a great tip for anyone wanting to extend the life of their EOS balm. The balm itself is held in by spokes in the bottom half of the EOS ball. If you have any extra travel pots lying around or can get to a craft store, you can actually use a small spoon to get out the rest of the lip balm that is stuck in the spokes. You'll have to use your finger to swipe on the balm from the travel pot, but at least you aren't wasting product! 

10. The Body Shop Mini Body Butter in Chocomania. OHHH man. This stuff. This was actually my first ever Body Shop body butter. I know. Shock horror. Over the summer I passed through the store and was obsessed with the lotion and decided to order the mini body butter later with an online 40% off promotion. This is definitely my "Summer 2013" smell, and I will always think of South Carolina and the beach when I use it. 

11. One Direction Our Moment Fragrance Sample. I had a lot of sample deals over Christmas through Sephora and other gift order deals, and this was one of them. I'm not incredibly in love with the fragrance, but I am impressed for a celebrity fragrance line. It's just too much equal parts sugar and floral, with no subtle undertone to bring the two scents together. I think this would make a lovely gift for anyone who likes sweet or floral scents. It honestly is more sophisticated than I expected. Not your average "candy" young girls scent!

12. Palmolive Naturals Nourishing Liquid Handwash with Milk and Honey. I liked this a lot! After using Bath & Body Works hand soap near exclusively, it's good to remember that there are some really nice hand soaps out there on the average store shelf.This was inexpensive, incredibly moisturizing, and smelled like sweet honey. All wins in my book. I have repurchased the hand soap, but in a different scent and I absolutely love it!


13. Bath & Body Works Frosted Cranberry Mini Candle. I love these candles, and this was so nice! I will probably repurchase in the Christmas season. I love the frosted cranberry hand sanitizer as well. There's just something about the tangy sweetness of cranberry that I love. 

14. Yankee Candle Vanilla Chai Candle. I really liked this scent! Some people may think it's overkill, but it reminds me of a cinnamon coffee cake with apple spices. It was a great fall scent and the first and only candle I bought in the UK for a while. I like Bath & Body Works candles better, but could see myself buying this again in the fall. 

15. Bath & Body Works Creamy Pumpkin Small Candle. This was such a nice, warm, vanilla-y scent for fall. In fact, this trio of candles created a really lovely fall scent and made my university room so much nicer. 

If you've read through all of these, wow, you are a trooper. I hope you've enjoyed my take on the products I've managed to use up completely. 

xoxo, Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment